Thursday, June 17, 2010

Social Governor - Dance All The Way to Work

My Dear Royal Subjects -

What a wonderful day it is today!  The sun is shining, my heart is glad, and I am ready to embrace yet another day in my journey through life.  This new journey that I have been on, to find the connections and to make the connections, has been so enlightening.  I have been observing more and watching my children and trying to understand why they are doing what they are doing.  So, last night my dear daughter was being so dramatic.  She was showing her Daddy how she could do a 'trick' and was telling him how she was going to be every single job in the circus.  She was climbing on him like he was a jungle gym and smiling and singing and laughing.  My dear husband, although patient and tolerant, was getting his hair pulled out and getting kicked well you know.  Yet, he was still in a decent mood and was most definitely enjoying his daughters dramatic flare.

Well, eventually she dances off to her coloring table and started singing some song that she made up and was coloring as if getting it done was the most important task she had ever taken on in her life.  It was cute, to say the least.  Then I told my dear husband, "I wonder who she gets that from?  That dramatic flare."  He laughed and said, "well she certainly did not get it from me.  Of course it was from you."  Then we got into a discussion about it.  I said I was not exactly dancing my way to work.  Then I think he hit the nail on the head.  He said I wasn't dancing to work or singing all the time because I was "conditioned" not to by the "social governance" society put on me over time.  I didn't want to think that was true.  I said that I am not an actor or a writer or someone with dramatic flare, after all, I am in software development - not exactly the Mecca of creativity.  He laughed and said if there was no "social governor" that I would still be just like our dear daughter.  Then I said I wished I could just dance my way to work everyday.  He laughed, reminded me I work at home, and said why don't you - you would only have to dance across the hall. 

All in all it was a lovely evening.  No TV.  Just me, my children, and my dear husband enjoying a conversation about how we think we became who we are and what things made us that way.  You see, we are all connected ... my children have some genetic predisposition to be similar to me and my husband.  But, society has a role in raising them too.  They will have their own social governors and they will have different ways that they interact with the outside world.  My only hope out of all of this is that I take the time to dance to my desk once in awhile, wear a red hat with a purple outfit before I am an old lady and just don't care anymore, and that my daughter doesn't change quite as much as it seems I have due to outside influences.

Love Your Queen of Connect,
Ms. Jackie
 
P.S.  Just in case you are wondering, I did go to the meeting yesterday.  I am glad I did.  I was really able to connect with others in my field. 

2 comments:

  1. First, don't be so hard on yourself. We all get weary and stop dancing from time-to-time. And here's a thought: maybe God gave you your dear daughter so she could re-kindle your exuberence (sp?) and spark new creative "fires" within you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, you are so insightful my dear friend. Yes, I am sure Ava was a gift from the great creator to get my butt back into life. Max too! I think our dear children are often windows to the world that we left behind without really knowing we left it behind! I look forward to additional chats dear one!

    ReplyDelete